06/08/15 – KHSAA Seeks Applicants for Assistant Commissioner (Female)
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF RESUMES AND COVER LETTER FOR CONSIDERATION: THURSDAY, JUNE 25, 2015
The Kentucky High School Athletic Association is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Commissioner. Due to the provisions of the Federal Court Order (Alston, et. al. vs The KHSAA, et. al.) and the composition of the current staff, this position will be filled by a female.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
Serve as Assistant Commissioner, employed full-time at the KHSAA offices in Lexington. Duties of the position anticipated to include but are not limited to:
- Managing all facets of assigned sports. The successful applicant will be assigned a minimum of two sports and/or sport-activities. At present, those assigned sports will be Field Hockey (fall), Cross Country (fall), Bowling (winter) and Track and Field (spring)
- Those duties include but are not limited to:
- Serving as the association’s staff interpreter for playing rules, including the potential review of a film/video and play situations, rules questions, and serving as a liaison between the coaches, officials, assigning secretaries and the KHSAA. In specific sports, outside assistance with interpretation of rules is an option, pending approval by the Commissioner;
- Arranging and preparing material for rules clinics for coaches and officials;
- Assisting the Commissioner with the alignment of teams into geographic groupings, subject to Board of Control approval;
- Coordinating the administrative tasks for the postseason championships in assigned sports to include site identification, assistance with ticket sales, potential concession supervision, hiring of auxiliary workers, officials assignments, review of the event program, reconciliation of ticket receipts and expenses; and
- Conducting state committee and assigning secretary meetings to handle the concerns related to assigned sports.
- Serve as the Supervisor of Officials Licensing in all sports and sport-activities in which licensing is managed by the Association, including serving as primary liaison for all Assigning Secretaries employed per the Federal Court Order (Alston, et. al. vs The KHSAA, et. al.)
- Assisting in editing all KHSAA publications.
- Participating in eligibility investigations as requested by the Commissioner.
- Assisting in the ongoing review of court decisions, legal opinions, regulations, statutes, and proposed legislation and regulations at Federal and State level to determine the long-range impact on association programs.
- Participating as feasible, as a member of National Federation, Kentucky Department of Education, or Board of Control directed committees, Task Forces, Meetings and/or Focus Groups.
- Other general duties as may be assigned by the Commissioner.
Final expectations and additional duties will be developed following employment of the successful candidate.
- The successful applicant must be a female.
- Minimum four (4) year college degree.
- Professional experience commensurate to job responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and direct programming and activities comparable to the Association’s programs of competitions and activities.
- Public speaking and public/community relations experience.
- Computer proficiency. The successful applicant will have access to the Microsoft Office Suite as well as other electronic resources as needed, and must be able to demonstrate proficiency with these and other electronic resources.
- Accurate attention to detail in the completion of projects.
- Demonstrated leadership skills for working with the Association membership, committees, sports officials, related governmental agencies, boards and other groups.
- Ability and desire for statewide travel that frequently extends beyond the work day.
EXPERIENCES TO BE DETAILED IF AVAILABLE (PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED)
- Event management experience.
- Experience specific to sports management and/or sports officiating. Applicants should note the requirement for details listed under application procedures.
- Background in education; or high school and/or collegiate administrative experience, particularly in athletics.
- Business, accounting or budget experience including human resources.
- Due to the provisions of the Federal Court Order (Alston, et. al. vs The KHSAA, et. al.) as detailed below and the composition of the current staff, preference for the hiring of this position will be given to female applicants.
TERMS, SALARY, AND BENEFITS
- The office of the Association is located in Lexington, Kentucky. Significant travel within the state is required.
- The successful candidate will qualify for membership in the Kentucky Teachers Retirement System and follow the hiring guidelines of background and criminal records check as required by the Kentucky Department of Education. Current or retired Kentucky Teacher Retirement System members must comply with all KTRS regulations. Due to currently contracted employees, the KHSAA may not hire a re-employed retiree working under the provisions and limitations of the Daily Wage Threshold for this position at this time.
- This is a full-time position, exempt from Federal and State wage and hour laws and not entitled to overtime pay.
- Salary is set by the Board of Control (adopted salary schedule) and will be commensurate with experience based on years of service (Prior Year Service Credit, PYSC). Applicants are given 1:1 credit for service time within KTRS or the Kentucky Employees Retirement System, and 1:2 credit for all other service time. Other experiences will be reviewed prior to the determination of applicable service credit (if any) for application to the salary schedule. For 2014-2015 this range is $71,274 to $89,495.
- Benefits include fully paid individual health insurance, KTRS full match, social security and medicare withholdings and full match, and annual paid sick and vacation leave including accrual of unused sick leave.
- Interested applicants should submit via U.S. mail or electronic mail, a letter of interest, resume and not more than four references. Of the references, only one such reference should be a personal reference.
- In order to properly calculate the PYSC, all prior positions should be included on applicant resume.
- All references should contain all contact information including day, night and cell (if available) contacts, and electronic mail addresses.
- Within the letter of interest, applicants should detail specific experience participating in, sports officiating or coaching sports. In particular, the applicant should make note of experience with bowling, cross country, field hockey, and track and field.
Applicants should forward information to:
Julian Tackett, Commissioner
2280 Executive Drive
Lexington, KY 40505
Information may also be submitted electronically (please do not duplicate submissions by also submitting in writing) to email@example.com
Anticipated employment date is around August 1, 2015, however, the start date for the successful candidate will be negotiable upon selection. Deadline for submission of the letter of interest, resume and supporting materials is June 25, 2015.
The Kentucky High School Athletic Association does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sex, or disability in employment, educational programs, or activities as set forth in Title IX and Title VI, and in Section 504 and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The KHSAA is subject to a consent decree entered by the United States District Court in the case of Alston, et. al. vs The KHSAA, et. al. in 1971. The decree provides, inter alia, that the day to day management of the KHSAA will be by a Commissioner and four to five Assistant Commissioners, at least one of which shall be African-American, and at least one of which shall be female.
ABOUT THE KHSAA
The Kentucky High School Athletic Association was organized in 1917 and is the agency designated by the Kentucky Department of Education to manage high school athletics in the Commonwealth under 702 KAR 7:065 as empowered by KRS 156.070. The Association is a voluntary nonprofit 501 3(c) organization made up of 277 member schools both public and private. The KHSAA sanctions 43 state championships in 17 sports and sport-activities, licenses and supports training for over 4,500 officials, provides catastrophic insurance for its member school student-athletes as well as overseeing coaching education and sports safety programs and conducting leadership enhancement programs for interscholastic student-athletes.
The Association office is located at 2280 Executive Drive in Lexington, KY (40505). More background information can be found about the KHSAA by visiting the KHSAA website at www.khsaa.org
Applications for this position from individuals not offered employment will be considered for any additional similar positions available prior to December 31, 2015 without additional re-listing or re-advertising.
KHSAA Vision Statement- To provide diverse and equitable opportunities for all students to enjoy the privilege of participation in school and education-based sports and sport-activities as part of the educational experience to teach and hone life skills, learn perspective, have fun and develop character.
KHSAA Mission Statement- To provide governance and leadership in order to regulate and progressively administer the highest quality interscholastic sports and sport-activities in an efficient manner, and promote the values of participation for all involved in education-based athletics and school-based sports. The KHSAA will work collaboratively with its member schools to recognize and promote the primary focus of high school academic success and college and career readiness for the student participants, risk minimization for all participants in the programs, and the efficient administration of the education-based athletic program in the schools..
Follow these topics: 2014-2015 News Releases, Athletic Department Blog Updates, Bowling Blog Updates, Commissioner's Perspective, Cross Country Blog Updates, Field Hockey Blog Updates, Track and Field Blog Updates