11/17/14-Swimming Draft Alignment Information and Opportunity for Feedback
For several meetings, the Board of Control has been conducting discussions and working with staff on finalizing a draft alignment of schools to being with the 2015-16 School year for the sport of swimming. The Board has authorized the Commissioner to release a tentative draft of schools divided into regions.
The draft alignment is listed at http://khsaa.org/111714-draft-swimming-alignment-for-2015-16/. You may submit your comments concerning the alignment through the link listed in the notification email to schools. More information will be added to the website (www.khsaa.org) about the realignment on the Swimming page.
Let me give you a brief summary of the Board’s discussions and where things stand as of now:
- Facilities: Special thanks to the membership for responding to the survey conducted during 2013-2014 concerning facilities. This sport is very much facility driven and without a decent inventory of facilities, .
- Board Next Steps: The alignment will be made final following a comment period by the schools, at the Board’s May 12, 2014 meeting in Lexington.
- One of the primary points of concern and driving forces for realignment was travel during the mid-February time of year: Nothing proposed or discussed was meant to lesson the positive work done by hosts in the past, but increasingly, travel in winter weather has been a great concern.
- Term of the alignment: The alignment will begin in 2015-16, and will extend through at least the 2018-19 school year and may be extended at that time.
- State Meet Qualifiers: It is the current intent of the Board to continue bringing two qualifiers from each region, even upon realignment, and to fill the remaining qualifying spots with at-large qualifying times/marks.
- Membership Feedback: Member school PRINCIPALS OR DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVES wishing to file written commentary on the alignment should do so by completing the survey at the link in the notification email on or before the close of business on Friday, January 9, 2015 to be considered by the Board of Control. Identified problems should be accompanied by a workable solution. Input received directly from coaches is subject to non-consideration per Bylaw 1 of the KHSAA.
As always, member school Principals or Designated Representatives should feel free to contact the office if you have any questions. Please contact Asst. Commissioner Darren Bilberry, who is responsible for Swimming, with swimming-specific questions, or contact Commissioner Julian Tackett with any Board of Control process inquiries.
Follow these topics: Swimming Blog Updates